Monday, May 28, 2012

Butter Lettuce and Shrimp Salad

So, if you have read some of my recent posts you'll know that I eat gluten free - an extremely difficult task at times but you do learn how to make every single kind of salad in the process! I recently also decided to try and avoid red meats for a while, so far its been working out and there are a lot of fish and chicken dishes I've been coming up with that are easily just as good as a burger. This recipe was inspired by a fellow favorite blogger and a while back she did this recipe with avocado, shrimp and endive. She also did a video on it which if you watch it you'll see how incredibly easy it is to make. 
You know me - I like to put my own twist on everything - so here is my own recipe on shrimp salad. P.S. Make sure to check out her blog Because I'm Addicted and her Vimeo channel LEAFtv as well!!

Butter Lettuce and Shrimp Salad
1 Lemon
1 Avocado
1 Vine Ripe Tomato
5 - 6 Butter Lettuce Leaves
6 Shrimp (peeled and deveined) 
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
S & P
**This recipe yields one person according to the leaves and shrimp

If your shrimp are frozen (like mine) I put them in a strainer or colander in the sink and let the cool water run over them for about five to ten minutes until they're thawed. Then I lightly pat them dry, place them in a bowl and add one tablespoon of olive oil, one half juice of the lemon and salt and pepper. Let them marinate for about ten minutes - or longer - while you get the rest of the ingredients ready. I personally like long strips of lettuce in this salad, it looks elegant and you can twirl them on your fork making it easier to eat. How I do that is I pick a few of the outside leaves and place them one on top of the other so that they all fit together; then, starting from the bottom of the leaves, I roll them into each other upwards making a little roll-up. Then simply slice the log of lettuce and you'll get them into long thin strips. Put the leaves in a bowl and move onto the tomato - I usually cut it in half and then dice it into medium sized cubes then put that in the bowl. Next the avocado - half it, remove the pit, and remove the flesh from the skin and then slice into long thin strips and add to the bow. Add the juice of the other half of the lemon and the other tablespoon of olive oil. Now you're ready to saute the shrimp. In a small skillet saute your shrimp for about two minutes on each side - they don't take very long on each side if you over cook them they become rubbery so be careful! When they're beautifully pink and cooked through add them to your salad and toss! 



 


No comments: