Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Number One

Hello! Allow me to introduce myself - my name is Rosie. I am a student at Oklahoma State University about to enter into my fourth and final year of school. For a long time now I have wanted to start a blog about cooking but every time I thought about it or put it on my to-do list I either procrastinated so much I forgot about it, or my list filled up with other more important things I needed to attend to. However this summer I finally mustered up enough courage to start it before I convinced myself that I had no idea how to blog. Now that I have started I realized that I probably should have actually written down more of my dishes and other recipes in order to write more posts - but I guess I just created a little adventure for myself.


This first blog will be historic because today was the first day that I made something and actually wrote down the recipe while I was cooking it! I also took pictures of the whole process too (which is something I rarely do because I'm so intense when I'm cooking that I forget about everything else I'm doing.) While I am still in the process of figuring out how to edit those pictures and make them look like the pictures on some of my favorite blogs here and here I have a simple breakfast recipe that will put a little pizazz on your scrambled eggs.




Scrambled Eggs with Bell Pepper and Tomato
4 eggs
1/2 vine ripe tomato
1/2 yellow or red bell pepper
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp italian seasoning
salt and pepper
(yields two)

I very rarely eat just plain scrambled eggs anymore every since I watched an episode of Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals (back when I was around 16) where she made breakfast for dinner and put tons of delicious veggies in her scrambled eggs and made it seem so tasty. Usually I only put 2 or 3 vegetables in my eggs but there is no rule that says you can't put more! Here is how I do it:


Beat the eggs in a bowl until they're the consistency you want them. Personally I don't mind if they aren't extremely fine; I like some bits of white and some bits of yolk. Then in a small skillet melt the butter on medium heat, then add in the bell pepper and tomato and salt and pepper to taste. After about two minutes the pepper will be soft and its time to add in the eggs. With a spatula pull the eggs from the outsides of the pan into the center letting the cooked parts separate from the uncooked liquid and continue until all is cooked through. Just before all of the eggs are cooked I like to add the Italian seasoning and some of the cheese so that the flavor is throughout the eggs and not just on top. When they are finished cut off the heat and add the rest of the cheese and the parsley on top to melt.


The great thing about eggs is that 1) they don't take very long to cook and 2) you can add almost anything to them. I've done this recipe with leftover vegetables too which is a great way to reuse cooked ingredients from the night before to create a brand new meal. In the past I've done zucchini, asparagus, spinach and avocado. You can also switch up the herbs and types of cheese you add which means there must be like 343,485,058,272,658 different combinations of eggs out there! Until next time - happy cooking!

No comments: